Hot damn. I didn't even know this thing existed. Obviously, Europe has some VWs that the states don't have. I was never jealous of models like the Fox, the Polo, or the Tiguan because they're essentially smaller or more economical versions of cars that existed in the US. But this, this Scirocco, is such a departure from anything available on the other side of the Atlantic that I'm a little upset I'm just learning of it now. To be fair though, it was released recently, in the fall of '08*. As such, you can tell that the Scirocco is the first step in VW's new direction of design for its sportier models. This more aggressive aesthetic is most apparent in the grill. VW is moving away from the Audi-style grill that reaches from the hood to the base of the bumper, and opting to make the bulk of the intake wrap around the skirt. Complete with the blade-like "fins" that the fog-lamps are set in, the new grills make these VWs look pretty mean. Let's also not forget how angry those headlight are.
Check out this Road & Track article on the new GTI Mark VI to see what I mean about VW's updated aesthetic (specifically, the grill). The Scirocco and the new GTI should be hitting US streets in October '09.
*At least this iteration, Mark III. Marks I and II were manufactured from '72 to '92.
No comments:
Post a Comment